Friday, September 16, 2011

Settling In

There are five bedrooms in this apartment, but last month there were only three. Two of the roommates moved out, and one remained during the renovation. Eden is half Moroccan, Israeli born and worked several years in London. She waits tables by day and tends bar by night--I haven't seen her much until this evening as she is either working or sleeping.

Tonight we she was hovering over the stove (not a range on top of an oven, but a set of two portable electric burners sitting haphazardly on the counter) and asked me if I'd like to join. I wanted to chat with her, since we live together, even though I was extremely tired. I also haven't eaten hot food much since I have to use money sparingly, and haven't cooked because everything's a mess. The apartment is basically in shambles--piles of junk all over the living room, tools and cords sprawled across the floor, a centimeter-thick layer of dust on every surface doesn't provide the most inviting cooking environment. So I accepted the invitation and Eden made a delicious dinner of quinoa with onions, garlic, tomato, cilantro, peppers. To compliment this was a tzatziki-like sauce with yogurt, mint, lemon. In a jar was a lemon chutney and on the side, a green salad comprised of lettuce, lemon, olive oil.

As the pot was simmering, she went to grab a diet coke and asked what I would like. "Some cheap-ish wine would be good." No cigars--a new law dictates that no alcohol shall be sold after 11 pm. It was after midnight, boo. So she left and I hopped in the shower. She said it would be fine simmering, but not six minutes later, she returned, I emerged, and the quinoa had already burned! It turned out okay--just a hint smokey, like chipotle. The whole meal was wonderful and I was so happy to have a delicious hot meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment